Who we are
Cruelty Free Europe is a Brussels based network of animal protection groups with a presence at the heart of EU decision-making, working to bring animal testing to an end across Europe.
Educating, challenging and inspiring others across Europe to respect and protect animals, we expose the reality of life for animals in laboratories, challenge decision-makers to make a positive difference for animals, and champion better science and cruelty free living.
Cruelty Free Europe is opposed to all animal experiments on both moral and scientific grounds.
Our purpose is:
- To act as a coordinating body of organisations campaigning against animal experiments throughout Europe;
- To campaign against all kinds of animal experiments; and
- To communicate as widely as possible our opposition to animal experiments
Our vision, mission and values
Our vision is:
A Europe where nobody wants or believes we need to experiment on animals
Our mission is to:
- Ensure that animals used in experiments in Europe are taken seriously on the European political agenda
- Collaborate with and encourage the EU institutions, agencies and national governments to support humane modern science and progressive legislation to truly protect animals and human health
- Inform, motivate and challenge by exposing the reality of animal experiments and the moral and scientific arguments against their use
Our values are:
- Compassion: We respect quality of life for animals and people
- Rationality: We present scientific, factual, reliable information and reasoned argument
- Integrity: We are professional, honest, principled and proudly non-violent
- Determination: We are passionate and totally committed to realising our vision
Cruelty Free Europe is a European Non-profit Association (INPA or aisbl) with a registered office in Brussels.
It is made up of Associate Members that are campaigning groups leading on animal protection in their respective European countries.
It was founded by Cruelty Free International which provides overall oversight of the organisation as the General Assembly, made up of the Cruelty Free International Board and CEO.
Cruelty Free Europe is managed by a Board of Directors who support the official administration of the organisation, working closely with Cruelty Free International. Every three years, Associate Members have the opportunity to nominate individuals to the Board.
Our current board:
Adrie van Steijn, Diervriendelijk Nederland, The Netherlands
Anita Euschen, Animals without Borders, Croatia
Ann De Greef, GAIA, Belgium
Michelle Thew, Cruelty Free International, UK
Rita Silva, Animal, Portugal